This is seriously one of my favorite meals. It is super easy, and packed full of good protein, grains, and veggies.
Choose from any of the following
- 2 cups of protein- lentils, any bean, Boca crumbles, mashed firm tofu, seitan
- 1 cup cooked carb- bulgar wheat, rice, uncooked oats, buckwheat, millet, quinoa
- 1/4 cup nuts or seeds- walnuts, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, cashews, pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups vegetables (pick as many as you would like)- leek, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper
- Seasonings- basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, cumin, nutritional yeast, ketchup, black pepper, etc.
- 2-3 Tbsp Binder- ground flax, uncooked cream of wheat, uncooked polenta, bean flour, tapioca flour, chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water or broth for steam frying vegetables
Preheat oven to 350°.
Sauté the vegetables you choose in the water or broth until soft. Add to a large mixing bowl with all other ingredients.
Mix and mash together well. Only add liquid if needed. You want a soft and moist loaf that holds together well. You do not want this to be runny. If it is too moist- add more binder.
Oil a loaf pan and place loaf in pan.
Top with ketchup for a more traditional meatloaf.
With my stomach issues, I can not add tomatoes into my diet. So, I tried a beet puree on top. It was actually pretty good!!
Cook for 45 min- 1 hour.
What combinations would you try? Let me know how it goes!!
By the way… the toe nail is still hanging on by a thread. Boo.