Engage Louisville is a group started by college students from the University of Louisville and JCTC. They work along side of the Jefferson Street Baptist Center. They are raising money and awareness for the homeless needs here in Louisville.
Engage Louisville has three primary goals:
In order to achieve this purpose, there are three major goals:
- Blessing the homeless of Louisville- we aim to honor the homeless of Louisville, by inviting them to be the guests of honor at a Banquet in downtown Louisville and giving them opportunity to connect with some of the local organizations designed to support them.
- Engage the people of Louisville- we aim to connect Louisvillians with opportunities to fight poverty. Focusing primarily on creating opportunities for Christians to become involved, especially those who have not had much experience ministering to the poor.
- Support the organizations that minister to the homeless- we seek to raise awareness of those groups that minister to the homeless, and to partner with Jefferson Street Baptist Center raising $20,000 for them to continue their ministry in excellence. (Source)
Their goal is to serve 250 homeless at a fancy banquet. Why the homeless you may ask?
Matthew 25 gives us a clear picture of why:
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Over 9,000 people in Louisville find themselves without a home every year. What are we doing about it?
Many times, we find ourselves too comfortable in our own cities and towns. We are willing to travel to far places and serve. We can make brown bag lunches for the homeless in Chicago, but completely ignore the homeless here. We can travel to Peru and have compassion on the poor, sick, and unfortunate, but we turn a blind eye on our own community. Engage Louisville and the Jefferson Street Baptist Center are wanting to change that!
The Jefferson Street Baptist Center is a safe place for the homeless to go in Louisville. They have several programs offered to the homeless in Louisville. They also share the gospel with these individuals! The Center serves as a shelter, and they offer alcohol and drug recovery programs. They also provide long-term housing for some folks.
So, how can we help?
- Kroger card- You can sign up for a Jefferson Street Kroger card. Whatever money is loaded on that card, the Center gets 4%. If you shop at Kroger, this is and easy and FREE way to help. You can go here for the application.
- Sponsor a table- Decorate it with fine china to make it extra special for the participants.
- Isaiah 58 Fast- Engage Louisville is asking for 500 people to skip a meal once every 2 weeks and donate $5 that you would have spent on that meal to the Jefferson Street Baptist Center. This would raise $200,000 for the Center!! There are two ways you can do the fast and more information can be found here.
What will we do for the least of these??