I’m so happy to have Luvy home.
Absence sure does make the heart grow fonder. We have been spending as much time together as possible. We even took a nice walk last night.
I have also been making a ton of smoothies this weekend, and shoving as many green vegetables at Luvy as possible! We have been eating very healthy since he came back. Gotta make up for last week’s meals!!
We wanted some comfort food since it was a rainy and soggy day. I whipped up some healthy sloppy joes!
I found this recipe a while back, but hadn’t been able to try it since I am allergic to bell pepper. I recently added them back into my diet, and so far… so good!
Sloppy Joes (recipe adapted from Post Punk Kitchen Snobby Joes)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp spicy mustard
- Put lentils and 4 cups of water on to boil. Once boiling, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain.
- While lentils are cooking, saute onion and bell pepper with water until it is softened. Add in garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in lentils and seasonings. Mix well. Stir in tomato sauce and paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in maple syrup and mustard. Heat through. Let stand for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve over bread, rice, bulgar wheat, etc.
This was so good that I ate WAY too much! I’m already ready for leftovers!!!
Luvy said he likes this better than traditional sloppy joes! 🙂 That’s a big compliment!!
This week I have a bunch of writing to do!! The semester is almost over.
Plus, we have fun visitors coming this weekend!!
Go now.. you must try these sloppy (snobby) joes!!